Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Conversations With Strangers

Being a pedestrian has it's perks.  How often do you talk to strangers while going to doctor appointments, grocery shopping, or work?  Not at all if you drive yourself, right?  For a long time I would put headphones on and ignore the world as I traveled to my destinations.  I was always afraid to chat with people on the bus or at the corner while I waited for the light to change.  We were raised not to talk to strangers as if all other humans were some terrifying beast.   Yes, there are some scary people in the world and we may be at risk sometimes while out and about.  Don't worry, I don't go anywhere with these strangers.

 People want connection, even for a moment with a stranger.  People want to feel noticed, heard, and a little less lonely.  Most of my brief conversations are not pleasant, but the ones that last just long enough for me to get to my destination are the ones I know made a difference in someones life.  Even if all I did was smile and say Hello.

When speaking to the homeless, I always remind myself that they may not have full mental capabilities anymore.  I usually just listen to their stories, offer food, and let then be on their way.  It's heart breaking to hear about their families and old life.  Then there are ones who just want to talk about what a nice day it is. Their happiness is a pleasant sight which gives me hope.

There are the older ladies who are lonely. Kids don't visit anymore because everyone is too busy.  I see pictures of grand kids all the time.  If only their children could see the pride in these ladies eyes as they speak of family and all the accomplishments made in life.

Recently I have been chatting it up with random people everywhere I go.  Some are customers from my store.  I don't remember them, but they know me.  It's still weird when that happens.  My last conversation was about traffic and how every driver seems to be in such a hurry.  As we walked he told me that he enjoys riding his bike to work when the weather permits.  He also enjoys taking walks to Starbucks on his lunch breaks.  Then it turns into me listening to this man talking about his wife and how awesome she is.  I wonder if she knows how much he loves her and admires her hard work.

My favorite conversations are the ones I'm not participating in.  Just listening to strangers on the bus or at Starbucks chat about celebrities, world events, their families, and politics is entertaining and inspiring.  It is rare that I hear arguments.  What I hear and see in these conversations are strangers coming together to educate and understand opposing views, or just bragging about who has the more funny or successful kids/ grand kids.

I didn't realize how much of the world I was missing out on until I broke my headphones.


No comments:

Post a Comment

In The Absence of Sex

Two years ago I attempted to explore a variety of dating and sexual encounters. It fizzled out quickly.  I was bored or unimpressed with the...