Sunday, June 3, 2012

Back to Basics


I'm doing okay with the betterment of me. I have lost weight already, reduced my eating and drinking of sodas. When I do the grocery shopping later this week i will not buy sodas. Oh wait, I have to buy sodas for Sunday. Blah.

That is not what this blog is really about. It's about reducing the crap I buy, recycling things no longer needed, and reusing what I can.  Yes, I'm going to try again at non-consumerism. Only buy what I need and use what I have.  I keep telling myself I must do this because I am a pack rat. You can still walk through my home plus I can vacuum and mop so I am not a hoarder. I don't want to become one either. I want a more simple life style. The hardest part about that is my books. I just can't give them up. 

Now, there are some things I am having a hard time deciding on. I have a stereo system that needs speakers. Do I buy speakers or do I just donate the stereo system because I don't have the speakers? Also, Samantha has a bunk bed we just took apart the top half and stored it in the closet. I am thinking of tossing out the frame (damage and a piece missing) but keeping the mattress. I will be breaking up and tossing out the old dresser my son has been using. The drawers are getting stuck, the wood is chipping and there is some damage to the top. It does not look fixable. I gave him my dresser which fits in the closet and gives him more room. I have a few bags of blankets and clothes that will become quilts or purses/bags. We have a bunch of supplies to make Christmas ornaments as well. I think it's time to use all this stuff up or at least get it better organized. 

The not buying things shouldn't be too bad. I have been making a list of things we NEED and numbering them by importance. I will purchase the items when I save money for that specific item. No buying on a whim, and always have a plan. The hard part will be not buying the yummy quick snack foods that I usually get. I will have to really keep control while shopping. I was telling myself (yes I talk to myself. SHUT UP) I will only shop once a week with a list and only buy what is on that list. I need to make do with what I have and fix what can be fixed. Instead of just tossing it. 

So the plan is to well... make a plan, stick to the list and try to reuse everything I can. 

On another note, I am trying to read every book I own (that's a lot). At the moment I am re-reading It's Called a Breakup Because it's Broken &  for the first time I am reading He's Just Not That Into You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

In The Absence of Sex

Two years ago I attempted to explore a variety of dating and sexual encounters. It fizzled out quickly.  I was bored or unimpressed with the...