Sunday, February 27, 2011

March is Spring Cleaning Month

Picture is from this article on Spring Cleaning. Read it!

  Every March & October is Spring/Fall cleaning. I would always make a list of what exactly i wanted to do & get done. Most of the time I would do a half ass job. This year will not be the case. I have a new list and a new plan to get things done. We'll see how it goes.
 I did a lot of cleaning last fall. Each month I tossed out 20 items. Unfortunately it wasn't enough. I still have a lot of stuff because I have been a serious pack rat. So i will do something similar through out the month of March. Each day I will either reduce, reuse, or recycle 2 items. Sounds easy, but i am sure it will not be anywhere near easy.
 I have broken my cleaning into 2, two week cleaning cycles. I have 8 rooms in my Townhouse. This is not including other parts of my home/property that will be cleaned. I will divide my home by floors. Upstairs (3 bedrooms, full bath, storage closet, linen closet, water & heating closets) will be week one & three. Downstairs (kitchen, dining room, living room, 1/2 bath, 2 closets, patio) will be week two & four.  I will use one day for each room. The linen closet & water/ heating closets i will do the same day The same goes for the closets & bath downstairs. I will probably take more time on the kitchen & living room since that is where we spend most of our time.
Today is the day I sit and plan it all out. I use Google Calendar to organize what days I will clean what rooms and a way to remind myself of some things i would normally over look while cleaning. I will be totally honest- I HATE CLEANING, and I suck at it, but someone has to do it. I am off to a good start and It's not even March.

This is what I end up doing. 


On another note: March will be starting another kind of "cleaning" for me. Ash Wednesday is March 2 & Lent starts March 7. For those of you who are not Catholic & do not know what Lent is click Here. I will go into more detail on the topic later this week.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great! I need to do some major purging, myself. I just never find the time. This year for spring break we are actually planning a family vacation, away from the house. We are also planning to get started on our garden. There's so much to do, so little time. I like your idea on how to divide up your tasks. We only have one floor, so that should make it a bit easier for me. The kids have daily chores, but they aren't always that good at getting them clean. I made "flip-cards" for each chore broken down by one step at a time. Each card gets one step and I laminated them and bound them together with binder rings. They hang on a cork board in the hallway. The idea behind this was so that they wouldn't miss a step in the cleaning process and I won't have to nag them about it. Unfortunately, they don't use them, but it's still a handy tool for myself at times. I made a set for their Bedrooms/closets, Bathroom, Living room/classroom, Office, Kitchen, Laundry, and Helping around the house. Have you ever heard of Flylady? She's on Facebook and has a website that helps you get your house clean and uncluttered. I've poked around on her site, but haven't committed myself to try it yet. I should.

    ReplyDelete

In The Absence of Sex

Two years ago I attempted to explore a variety of dating and sexual encounters. It fizzled out quickly.  I was bored or unimpressed with the...