Sunday, February 8, 2015

Lent 2015: Going Natural.

I have been thinking about what I would give up for Lent this year.  I was about to pass it up because I could not find anything. I've always gave up some kind of food. I wanted to do something different and in the process, learn something new.  I have decided to Go Natural. What does that mean? I will be giving up the usual "Beauty" products in exchange for homemade. I will also be giving up shaving. Now, don't freak out. I'm not giving up hair removal, just shaving.  This is my way of pushing myself to use my epilator more and to tweeze more as well. I have not epilated my armpits yet, so this will get interesting the first day.  I have a feeling I will cry. I want to rely less on disposable, chemical filled products and more on reusable, healthier options.

These are the products I use on a regular basis.
-Bath & Body Works White Citrus lotion
-Noxema & St Ives Apricot scrub
-St Ives lotion (before bed)
-Apothecary Grove body scrub
- Raw Essentials night cream
- Vitamins
Not shown is my Tresemme shampoo and Colgate toothpaste.

My goal is to make my own, toothpaste, shampoo, lip balm, and face & body scrub.  40 Days of trial and error shouldn't hurt me, right? I did a little research on recipes for Do It Yourself products. There are a ton of sites that offer ideas of how to make your own. But first, I will try to use up as much as I can of what I already have before February 18.

DIYNatural.com

Lots of homemade products. I personally liked their shampoo, conditioner, and toothpaste recipes as they are simple for me to make.  I bought the items I didn't have today. I used that as an excuse to leave the house on this blustery day.

BodyUnburdened.com

Also great recipes which include bug repellant (great for summer), sugar scrubs, lip balm and awesome DIY gift ideas.

Brit & Co Organic Body Scrubs

Brit & Co is a lovely site. Plenty of ideas on fashion, home, and DIY. Brit & Co is worth following on Facebook as well.  The link will take you to their recipes of body scrubs.  I plan on trying Coffee-Coconut oil Sugar scrub, and Pumpkin-Honey baking soda scrub.

I have not looked on Pinterest for ideas yet. I'm sure there are plenty on there for me to look at.  It seems the lip balm will be the most difficult to make, as I need bees wax and have to do all the fun cooking stuff. I'll have to pick up some beeswax and herbs soon. I'm just about out of my store bought lip balm.

So there it is. My crazy Lent decision to torment myself for 40 days.









No comments:

Post a Comment

In The Absence of Sex

Two years ago I attempted to explore a variety of dating and sexual encounters. It fizzled out quickly.  I was bored or unimpressed with the...