Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lent: Day 20 I hate Mac N Cheese, but I ate it.

Bleh

  I really do hate it. My kids used to love Mac N Cheese and want it almost every day with their dinner. I think that's why I started hating it. We had it so much. Hot dogs, mac n cheese, and green beans. For a long time that is all my kids would eat. As they got older they would eat corndogs, chicken nuggets and fish sticks. Now my son loves steak and pork chops. I have to fight with him to eat anything else. He may eat mashed potatoes and gravy or french bread (no butter). It's a losing battle with that boy. My girls have both decided they no longer like meat (except bacon, turkey lunch meat, and salami)  WTH?? Now what am I supposed to cook? Please dont say vegan meat because we tried that. No one liked it. Shelby lives with her father now so I only have to worry about her in the summer and Christmas. Samantha will only eat Caesar Salad. No other kind will do. Samantha LOVES corn, mashed or baked potatoes, with gravy if mashed, asparagus and broccoli. She is a my good eater, but only her. When and how did my kids become so freaking picky? I know we are pretty poor compared to most families, but I still buy good for you food. I have to figure out how to get my kids to eat more. They prefer processed crap which is all I can afford, but I do try to get fresh veggies and lean meats first. It's a daily battle for a well balanced dinner. I have a shelf filled with cookbooks, but I haven't found much to please the kids tastes buds.

 It doesn't help that their fathers side is filled with picky eaters. Their grandfather Dennis is the only one who eats anything. I know he makes good meals because we used to live with them. When we lived on our own, the kids father was so picky the kids hardly got veggies or healthy food. He pretty much ate crap. I refuse to make some of the meals I made back than now. Even though it would be more cost effect to make those meals and add veggies to them.  I just can't do it, The food makes me want to vomit.

  Back to the Mac n Cheese, I hate it, the taste, texture, everything. I used to add polish sausage and broccoli to it. I only eat it now because I want the kids to see that just because you don't like something doesn't mean you cant try it. Maybe you 'll like the next time. Today was a finish it off day. What does that mean? I cook anything that has not enough food for all of us. So we made fish sticks, chicken strips, mac n cheese and some broccoli. Pretty much finishing any semi-empty packages. We do that maybe once a week. I'm not going to get into the serving amount complaint I have right now. I'll save it for another blog. I ate the Mac n Cheese with a little of everything else. David (my son) did not touch the Mac n Cheese, I asked him why and he said "I don't like it". Oh nice, I'm not the only one, but I at least I ate it.

Any ideas, help, or advise on getting the kids to eat more is very much appreciated right now.

I'm off to watch Labyrinth and relax. Maybe I'll watch The Dark Crystal too.

This kitty must know my kids




P.S. We are working on our very own veggie garden. I'll post pics as we go.

2 comments:

  1. Mac and cheese can be yummy if you make it from scratch. I used to love the Kraft stuff, but I've learned to hate processed foods. My kids love mac and cheese in chili... or ChiliMac. There are lots of great recipe sites online. Believe me, I've spent most of my day looking for some gluten free recipes as I plan our dinner menu for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe try seasoning the vegetables with different things. It's hard when they're young, because their tastebuds haven't fully developed and food tastes different to them than to us.

    My kids would eat basic vegetables and salads when they were smaller. Now they eat almost any vegetable dish I make. Asparagus is still not a pleasant dish for them yet. I usually sautee any vegetable dish with butter or olive oil and season it with garlic salt and/or fresh cracked pepper.

    ReplyDelete

In The Absence of Sex

Two years ago I attempted to explore a variety of dating and sexual encounters. It fizzled out quickly.  I was bored or unimpressed with the...