Thursday, March 17, 2011

Lent: Day 10 Why I gave up meat.

Photo from www.demeterclarc.com/tag/vegetarianism/


  I gave up meat for health reasons and to help lose some weight. Catholics are not supposed to eat meat on all Fridays of the year, but many of us don't abide by it. It's usually when Lent comes around when people finally give it up.

  I'm not a big fan of beef to begin with, but the last few years I have given it up for Lent and noticed a huge difference in my health. My skin clears up, I have more energy, and I feel better over all. In 2009 I gave up beef for Lent. I felt good and lost 15 lbs... Then I went to my grandmothers for Spring Break and we ate beef almost everyday. I was so sick and my skin broke out in cystic acne across my collarbone and neck. I don't normally get cystic acne that bad. Once I got home I reduced my beef intake and did notice every time I ate beef the same thing would happen. I felt exhausted and I would break out real bad with cystic acne. It sucks because there are a few beef dishes i enjoy. It seems beef will have to be a special occasion  type of meal. I have replaced ground beef with turkey, it's great but more expensive.

  I gave up pork because i love it way to much. I eat bacon and ham like its candy. I know it's filled with fat and ham is packed with sugar and water. But I LOVE IT! Pork chops sound so good right now with mashed potatoes and gravy and some steamed veggies. I've heard that pork is not good for you, but I'm not sure how. I read eating pork chops can give you the same protein you get from beef, or something like that. If i had to choose between the two i would choose pork. When Lent is over I will reduce pork to twice a week. That will be one dinner and a breakfast. You have to have bacon or sausage with Sunday morning pancakes. Geez, look at that, I'm already making excuses why I should have it more than once a week.

  I chose to allow myself poultry once a week. I am a chicken girl, but my daughter loves turkey. So I try to have a little of both each week. Now there really was no need to remove poultry for Lent, but I thought I would push my limits. A way to test myself in getting creative with food and try new things. If I can't buy poultry all the time what's left? Something I have yet to try maybe.

Today all I had was 2 tuna melts and a hand full of bbq chips. I'm starting to feel better. Maybe tomorrow I will eat more.

2 comments:

  1. Turkey bacon is soooo good, less fatty, more meat. You should try it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We only eat beef/pork once a week if that. I don't even know why or how or WHEN we started that. Since Lent began, I've been feeling thinner and haven't been bloated... I gave up coffee, hot tea and hot chocolate. I'm drinking water more than I was in the last couple of months. Hopefully my willpower will be strong after Lent and I can continue with little to no coffee.

    ReplyDelete

In The Absence of Sex

Two years ago I attempted to explore a variety of dating and sexual encounters. It fizzled out quickly.  I was bored or unimpressed with the...