Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 10 Blog Challenge: My views on drugs and alcohol.

30 Day Blog Challenge: Day 10: Your views on drugs and alcohol.


I have what i consider mixed or biased views on this topic. To start I will give you a small history of my experience. My children's biological father is a meth addict. He has been in and out of rehab many times.  I myself started drinking alcohol when i was 25, I had a drink once or twice before that, but had not gotten drunk. I have tried weed, all it did was make me hungry and tired. I drink occasionally and not every time do I get drunk. I am having rum and coke as I type this, and I have already had 2 beers.

My views on drugs and alcohol are complicated. For a long time I felt that drugs is drugs and its all bad. It's not like that anymore. Today I believe that in moderation you can have a drink or two and still have a good time. I for example have a one drink limit when I go out but, if I am at home I will allow myself to have more. I do not drive so I don't have to worry about drinking and driving for myself. This is where it gets complicated. In my opinion if someone is arrested for a DUI or DWI that person should lose their drivers license for one year and have to do a program. If that person is arrested again for a DUI or DWI then that person should lose their drivers license permanently and have to participate in an out patient rehab program. If this person is arrested again for the same thing then they get jail time based on the blood alcohol level. YES I know its different for everyone, but these people are CHOOSING to drive under the influence KNOWING that they are raising their chances of killing someone while they drive. Driving is dangerous, but under the influence in my opinion is the same as intent to harm, maim or kill someone. Like I said, this in my opinion.
Marijuana I believe should be legalized. It is a natural substance that anyone can grow. It has health benefits and has helped many people deal with pain during cancer treatments. In my opinion it is no different than cigarettes. If we can buy tobacco (a natural substance) then we should be able to buy marijuana as well. I don't want to talk to much about this topic now, maybe I'll write about it another time.
Hard/street drugs I think should be illegal and selling/ distributing it should have longer jail time. We as a nation need to step up and make a program to help addicts and stop dealers. Anyone caught selling to miners should get longer time in jail. Again, this is my opinion. I understand our prisons are over crowded and need funding. Some people are in prison for having drugs that were for personal use, put them in rehab instead, get them HELP! Make marijuana legal and that will reduce some of the overcrowding.

I wish I knew so much more about how the system worked when it comes to drugs and alcohol. I wish there was more we can do as a community to help addicts and the families who are torn apart from it. It's not fun watching people destroy themselves with addiction. It's hard to watch kids grow up thinking it's okay to be that way. I have been fortunate in that my children don't fall to peer pressure and refuse to have anything to do with drugs and alcohol. For now anyway and I hope it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In The Absence of Sex

Two years ago I attempted to explore a variety of dating and sexual encounters. It fizzled out quickly.  I was bored or unimpressed with the...